Saturday, January 8, 2011

Blame It On Rio

In exactly one month I will be on a beach in Rio. (Yes, I do know just how lucky I am) And let me tell you just how UNlucky I've felt while trying to get in shape for my big trip to the land where dental floss doubles as clothing.





(*photo courtesy of cancelled stamps)








Gone are the days of my early twenties where I could whip my body back into beach bound shape with little to no effort. 30 may be the new 20, but let me tell you, they're also the years of working your booty off to, well, um keep your booty!

With only a month to go, I had to take drastic measures. Which unfortunately for a lover of food and food writing meant giving up a lot of the things I adore. Like carbs, salt, sugar and dairy, otherwise known as the Paleo Diet. (Gasp!)

If you've written me off and stopped reading, I understand. Feel free to join me again for articles about real food when I'm back from my trip. No I haven't lost my mind and will be throwing the Paleo Diet along with caution to the wind once I step on the plane. It will all be worthwhile once I'm eating bbq meats in Brazil, beef in Argentina and whatever the local delicacy happens to be if I'm lucky enough to make it over to Uruguay.

For those of you gracious enough to keep reading until then I have to
secretly tell you- its actually not that bad.

The Paleo Diet cookbook has some decent recipes and actually allows
athletes to have yams with some salt as a treat. After a huge workout
at the gym today (thank you dee for pushing me and my booty) of course
I'm considering myself an athlete. And a culinary genius for coming up
with this low cal, low salt delicious recipe!

Paleo Diet or not, you have to try these.

Smoked Yam Fries


2 large yams peeled and cut into long thick chunks
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chipolte powder
1 teaspoon smoked salt *I like the maldon brand but you can use any brand you prefer
2 tablespoons olive oil

Toss the yams with all the ingredients listed above. Bake in a 400F oven on a cookie sheet or baking tray until golden brown turning halway. Approx. 30-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment